Monday, October 25, 2010

Restaurant review time

First of all, don't get used to me posting twice within 24 hours. I actually have some extra time right now, so I'm scratching one more topic off my list, that being: a few restaurant reviews, actually not reviews, more like my opinion.
Mike and I had a date night on Saturday night and ventured downtown to Murray's in Minneapolis. I had a Groupon that expired at the end of November, and because Mike is pretty much non-existent on November weekends, we had to use it this weekend. We even skipped a Halloween party at my cousin's house to get down there. I hate that weekends get soooo busy.
Back to the topic at hand. I made reservations for 8 so Mike could hunt in the evening and we'd still have time for dinner, plus I thought that the dinner crowd would be cleared out by then. Boy, was I ever wrong. This being my first and only time to Murray's I have nothing to compare it to, but every table in the place was full, and they pack the tables in there like sardines. I wasn't impressed at all. I had to squish my fat butt past a few tables to get to the bathroom, and I didn't like it. Plus, it was kinda loud for a nice place. Lots of conversation over the piano being played in the background.
The wine was $9 per glass, for the cheapest Cabernet, too. Dislike. I love wine with my food, so I only got one glass. We also ordered some walleye and wild rice spring rolls. A good combination until they threw in some Asian cole slaw and some other Asian sauce that I didn't like. Don't pair something so Minnesotan with something across the world. In my opinion, they do not mesh well!
I'm not a red meat eater, so I didn't have to worry about ordering a $50 steak, which is what Mike did. Really?! Does a slab of meat really cost that much???? Mike himself said that he could cook a steak almost as well. He loves steak, and he's the one that grills them. My salmon was good, and the portion was large, so no complaints there. The next one comes when we got the bill. We had to pay extra for the salad, that I swore came with the meal. I didn't say anything because our waiter was so busy with his other tables, and he actually got our bill wrong the first time, so I didn't want to question the salads and be a real b*^#@. Maybe I should have, but that's in the past. All in all, I'm glad that we finally went there because I know so many people that love the place. Maybe if I ate a gross, juicy steak, I'd have a different opinion. That won't happen anytime soon!
I do love being downtown, though. There was a little mist in the air, so looking up at the buildings was beautiful in the foggy night sky. Driving downtown is another story, I was happy to let Mike do it. He knows his way around pretty well anyway. It was a good night, just not as good as I was anticipating. Good thing I had the Groupon and didn't have to pay the actual price of our meal! That would have been a little painful. I really don't have a problem paying a few dollars for anything, but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Except when it comes to restaurants. I love to cook, so maybe I'm better off making dinner for our date nights. But, that takes work, and I want to be wine and dined once in a while, too.
I'd also like to write about another place we've been lately, but I don't have time. Maybe I'll start a new list of topics: restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment