Tuesday, June 12, 2012

We bought our house-- again

We closed!!!! I am now a homeowner, though I'm not jumping up and down for joy. We bought our house again today, that's what I call it.
Actually, we refinanced.
Oh, how I wish I was closing on another property today, but alas it was just our humble little abode.
Mike was sole owner of the house because he bought it before we were married, and now that we are able to refinance, and we're married, I have to be listed on the title and some of the mortgage documents. 
The only thing Obama has done while in office that has helped me/us was create the Making Home Affordable program, of which Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) is part of. HARP allows homeowners to refinance into low mortgage interest rates even if the property has decreased in value. Good news for us, I guess. We diligently pay our mortgage on time each month but are completely underwater, so the HARP  program has helped us as it was intended.
Our mortgage went from a 30 year at a fixed (high) rate to a 15 year at a fixed LOW rate! I'm so excited to be paying on a 15 year note only, and hoping that we can pay it off in the next few years all together. What's really cool is that our monthly payment only went up $9. No joke. It's awesome! It pretty much makes me want to throw up when I think about sticking with a 30 year note and how much interest a borrower pays over that time. Never again. We're sticking with a 15 year mortgage the next time we buy a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment